dhclient-more-debug.dpatch [Was: DHCPREQUEST of <null address>]

Alan Jenkins aj504 at cs.york.ac.uk
Wed May 7 15:26:24 UTC 2008

David W. Hankins wrote:
> On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 01:07:31PM +0100, Alan Jenkins wrote:
>
>> So, do you have any idea why client->requested_address would be set to
>> "<null address>" before the lease expires?
>>

> In renewal, clients are required to set ciaddr, and required not to
> set the DHCP option 'dhcp-requested-address' (RFC2131 section 4.3.2,
> but 4.3.6 has a table that is easier to read).
>
> Sounds normal to me.  The patch to include the requested address is
> clearly wrong; the correct approach is to use ciaddr if nonzero and
> requested-address otherwise.

Thanks.  Martin, can you fix your patch please?

I requested help on the ISC mailing list, and came accross
dhclient-more-debug.dpatch (in the Ubuntu package dhcp3-3.0.6.dfsg).  It
turned out to be generating a concerning but incorrect messages -

"DHCPREQUEST of <null address> ..."

because it forgets that client->requested_address is only set initially,
and *not* when renewing a lease.  I happen to be getting lots of these
messages.  An unidentified problem prevents dhclient from renewing the
lease, so it keeps on retrying.

Thanks,
Alan