DDNS, ISC-DHCPD, and Bind... not working because of strange error messages

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au
Mon Mar 31 05:33:56 UTC 2008

Apologies- 2 things:

1. I was looking at the wrong config for dhcpd (my server only; FreeBSD
uses /usr/local/etc instead of just /etc, and I had a config in both).
Therefore, only one of my configs had an entry: option ntp-servers
pool.ntp.org. Also, I don't remember putting that entry there- probably
from an obscure how-to site.

2. Split horizon was throwing off my dig. Internally my dns was throwing
back an entry- externally not. Weird...

I'm still having trouble getting ddns to work, but dhcpd is working ok,
and bind is working fine, so I'm still happy- I'll just plodding along
working out the ddns.

An odd problem though; I just about had ddns working the other day, the
rev.arpa file had a ptr record for the client but no A record, and it
was the wrong ip address. Haven't worked that one out...

And if I may, I would like to get the update logging happening for bind,
and followed the directions in the dhcpd.conf but its not working (I
figure it may be helpful setting up the ddns). I've completely stopped
bind and restarted but nogo. Any ideas? Should I ask the bind list?

Thanks again guys.