Need help setting up dhcp server

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Wed Mar 19 09:37:52 UTC 2008

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 08:33:52PM -0700, mister moo wrote:
> >  Re: Need help setting up dhcp server
> >

> > >Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 23:04:40 -0700 (PDT)
> > >From: mister moo <moleque_da_rua at yahoo.com>
> > >Subject: Need help setting up dhcp server
> > >To: dhcp-users at isc.org
> > >
> > >I have edited and re-edited the configuration file
> > for
> > >the server and I am not able to start it on the
> > >interface.
> > >
> > >        option interfaces eth1
> >
> > This is not a valid statement. What are you trying to
> > achieve here?
> > There is no need to bind a subnet to an interface.
> > dhcpd works out what
> > the ip addresses are on the subnet and sorts this out
> > automatically.
>
> I had to share a NIC between two machines. The shared
> NIC became eth2 on the host machine- I did not know
> how to properly disable with ifconfig. Now the
> embedded NIC- eth1- is what I am trying to use as a
> server.
> So, the setup I would like to have is: Server (AMD64)
> dc0 (eth2) as the interface for the ISP and rl0 (eth1)
> as the server interface for a local machine.
> Whenever I restart with eth1 enabled, my connection to
> my ISP slows down or becomes non-existant.

Ok, then. You need to append the interface name to the end of the dhcpd
command when it starts. Effectively you need to run

  dhcpd eth1

and it will only listen on eth1. How you achieve this in reality
depends on your distro. They tend to have different startup files for
command line settings. If you can tell us whether, eg, it's redhat,
ubuntu, freebsd, etc, and ther version, then someone on the list will
be able to tell you the eact file you need to update.

regards,
-glenn