Classes and failover

Rene Joergensen rgj at fzr.dk
Fri Jun 27 12:13:31 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 12:56:01PM +0200, Leif Arne Neset wrote:

> Use Wireshark or something similar to have a look at the DHCPDISCOVER
> packets. My guess is that the field "seconds elapsed" in the packets are
> either 0 (zero) or larger than the value in the configuration option
> "max-response-delay". If this is true both servers are supposed to
> answer the discoverpackets.

As i read the man-page, max-response-delay is for the interconnect
between the two servers. "load balance max seconds" seems to be the
option you're refering to. But why would they respond to the
DHCPDISCOVER/DHCPREQUEST if seconds elapsed is 0? Then it should be
decided via split and/or who owns the lease. Again that is, if i
understand it correctly.

How do dhcpd respond to the following scenario?:
Two servers have a pool with a range of only one IP. That IP is balanced
to the primary, so the secondary holds 0 leases in that pool.
The client then sends the request to both of them, via the split
statement dhcpd then calculates it to be the secondary who should
respond to the request, but the secondary holds no leases.
Will the primary then respond or is the IP balanced on-the-fly to the
secondary?

--
-René