What Exactly Causes "uid lease" Messages?

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Sun Jun 15 02:39:06 UTC 2008

Claus Holm Christensen writes:
> In DHCP, the client is supposed to send both a MAC address and a DHCP
> Client Identifier (called "uid" in the leases file?) to the server, to
> identify the client. The DHCP server should prefer this value over the
> MAC address, but when two hosts on different networks share the Client
> Identifier, the server realises that it can't possibly be the same host
> and emits this error message to warn about it.
>
> It should be easy to find out. Check the leases-file and locate the two
> different leases mentioned, then compare the uid field.

	I did and it is like you describe except for 1 thing.
After picking one at random, I found three leases with the same
UID. They also had the same MAC address. How folks are doing
this I am not sure, but it is as if they have a previous fond
memory of X lease which they sometimes ask for.:-)

	Here is the pair of leases for one client. The hardware
address is the same as well as the UID field.

lease 139.78.228.141 {
  starts 5 2008/06/13 06:07:10;
  ends 5 2008/06/13 06:37:10;
  tstp 5 2008/06/13 06:37:10;