DHCPv6-4.1.mumble

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Thu Jun 12 11:35:46 UTC 2008

i did mention merging as an issue -IF- it was not possible to
pass DNS server information.  to borrow from the DNS side of the
house, it is perfectly reasonable to return, over IPv4 transport,
data about IPv6.
the dhcp "Domain Nameserver" option should be able to return a series
of IP addresses that a client might use.  this capability is seriously
crippled by the presumption that the IPv4 version of DHCP can -ONLY-
return IPv4 addresses for this option and the IPv6 version of DHCP can
-ONLY- return IPv6 addresses for its functional equivalent of the
Domain Nameserver option.  The presumption seems false.

If, as asserted elsewhere in this thread, the IP address string to be
returned is unspecified then it should be fairly easy to assert that
any valid IP address string/structure should be valid. I am working on
patching the ISC code to do just this.

If this works, it will avoid the issues of data merging... for now.

--bill