DHCPv6-4.1.mumble

Ted Lemon Ted.Lemon at nominum.com
Thu Jun 12 14:18:58 UTC 2008

On Jun 12, 2008, at 4:32 AM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Given that getting existing IPv4 clients to handle IPv6 stuff will
> require a LOT of clients to be modified, one could also question the
> wisdom of going down that road which is likely to take many years to
> get a spec agreed and then get vendors to support it.

Particularly since we've gone down that road before, and we know where
it leads...   I'm tempted to throw in a comment here about "my way or
the highway" but that would be rude.   But really, we have thought
about this, and we decided as a group not to do it.   On a practical
level, your choices are either to define a new site-local option, or
to use stateless DHCPv6.   Stateless DHCPv6 works pretty well - I'm
not sure why you're resisting using it.