DHCPv6-4.1.mumble

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Wed Jun 11 22:06:04 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 09:35:41PM +0000, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
> > if you wanted it to appear in a DHCPv6 packet.
>
> 	er... not what I want.  I want to tell my v4 clients that
> 	it is ok to use a v6 address for DNS resolution.  They are
> 	going to have v6 via other means - but RA/ND won't tell them
> 	about their nameservers...
>
> 	when I want to do DHCPv6, I'll get there, and when I do,
> 	I expect I'll want to tell my DHCPv6 clients about an
> 	IPv4 address that they might want to use for DNS resolution.

then you're S.O.L, the ietf has never defined a v4 option that
can carry ipv6 addresses for nameservers (or any other config
option in dhcpv4).

unless you define your own option codes and definitions such as
in a "vendor-identified vendor option" (delimited by enterprise-id),
vendor encapsulated options, or if you think you are a "site local
administrator", you might consider "site local option codes."  but
this presumes that you're writing the dhcp client software on all
your nodes, explicitly to read and understand those options, which
i suspect is not the case.

if you're doing stateless autoconf, and want to configure nameservers,
consider if you haven't already "the O flag", stateless dhcpv6, and
the previously quoted config snippet.

--
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Why settle for the lesser evil?	 https://secure.isc.org/store/t-shirt/