DHCPv6-4.1.mumble

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Wed Jun 11 17:20:49 UTC 2008

a simple game...  remove IPv4 addresses for DNS Nameservers.

in the bad old days:

option domain-name-server 192.168.10.53;

worked a treat... so today we try...

option domain-name-server 3ffe::53;

and the code falls over. so we try w/ RFC 3646 options.. No Joy:

Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server 4.1.0a1
Copyright 2004-2008 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
/etc/dhcpd.conf line 10: unknown option dhcp.dns-recursive-name-server
option dns-recursive-name-server 3ffe:
        ^
Configuration file errors encountered -- exiting

looking at the helpful ManPage...

       option domain-name-servers ip-address [, ip-address...  ];

          The  domain-name-servers  option  specifies a list of Domain Name
          System (STD 13, RFC 1035) name servers available to  the  client.
          Servers should be listed in order of preference.

and

       The ip-address data type can be entered either  as  an  explicit  IP
       address  (e.g.,  239.254.197.10)  or  as  a  domain name (e.g., haa-
       gen.isc.org).  When entering a domain name, be sure that that domain
       name resolves to a single IP address.

       The  ip6-address  data  specifies  an  IPv6  address,  like  ::1  or
       3ffe:bbbb:aaaa:aaaa::1.

So...  it appears one can not use IPv6 addresses for the Nameservers to be
distributed to the client pool.  (we simply -MUST- try using that multicast
address sometime soon tho... could be loads of fun!!!)

	Or

is there a clever work around for the ISC code?  Do I need to dump it for
the compliant cisco code?  Recommendations welcomed.

--bill