DHCP Clients with Rembo Loose Addresses.

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Tue Jun 10 18:54:33 UTC 2008

	In a public lab, client computers boot and get a DHCP
dynamic lease. They then get a download from a Rembo server and
boot again under Windows. During the second boot, DHCPD pings
the  address they  just got and the interface answers, causing
DHCPD to abandon that lease for another one.
	The net effect is that  everybody's address constantly
changes and our logs fill with messages like:

 dhcpd: Abandoning IP address 139.78.99.9: pinged before offer

	Then, they get another address which they loose on the
next boot.

	Short of making all 400 machines static bootP, is there
anything else we can do to correct this situation?

	It appears that the network interface is still alive at
the time of the second boot which causes  DHCPD to abandon the
address.

	Normally, the ping before offer step is a vey good
thing, but in this case, no good deed goes unpunished.

	Thanks for any ideas.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer