Hello all,

Marc Perea marccp at srttel.com
Tue Jul 22 21:19:37 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I've set up my server using ISC v3.1.0 and want to use option 82 information to assign a static IP to DHCP clients. I only allow DHCP to clients who have a class defined in the dhcpd.conf - and these clients provide option agent.circuit-id in their DISCOVER packets. Unknown clients are not to be assigned an IP. This is working just fine for the first client to connect, but then I run into a problem if the end device is swapped - imagine a laptop connected at a specific circuid-id and then the laptop gets replaced. The problem here is that my policy is to only allow 1 IP per circuit, so the first laptop acquires a lease and that lease is still active when the next one attempts to get connected to the same circuid-id, resulting in a no free leases state. I realize this is working as intended, so...

The 1 IP per circuit policy is not negotiable, and the static assignment of IPs is quite valuable to other groups as well, so the way I see it, I need a method of expiring or deleting a lease under certain conditions (like getting a call after someone swaps out their gear). I could:

1) Send a RELEASE message to the server using some scripting and omshell/omapi. I assume this is the best option, but would like opinions.

2) Stop the DHCPD and delete the lease, restart the service. I believe this option is fairly simple to start, but may have issues when scaling up.

3) Some other option that I didn't think of because I'm new and ignorant in the domain of dhcp knowledge?

My question is, what does anyone with more than 2 months experience with dhcpd recommend as a best solution?

Thanks for reading!

--Marc