dhclient and automatic fqdn.fqdn generation

Mela Custodining sessyargc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 23:37:34 UTC 2008

Hello everyone,

These past couple of weeks I've been trying to figure out how one can
automagically generate an fqdn.fqdn string that can be sent to the server.
I want to set the host-name in the dhclient.conf file but I want to refrain
from initializing the domain-name, instead I want to use the domain-name
from the DHCP server (also ISC).

fqdn.fqdn is just host-name + "." + domain-name + "." I tried doing this
with
-----
send fqdn.server-update on;
send fqdn.fqdn concat(option host-name, ".", option domain-name, ".");
-----
but it doesn't work.

Option 81 is being sent but Client name is not set properly.

Hope someone can provide help.
Thank you.

Regards,
Rommel