Question about DHCP.

Eric Kenny eric.kenny at marist.edu
Tue Jul 8 12:52:37 UTC 2008

We experienced the same behavior with our failover setup.  We have
LOTS of subnet declarations (most of them /21) and found that it
would take between 1.5 and 3.5 hours for the DHCP servers to come out
of "recovering" state.  As most would expect, this pretty much makes
failover useless to us.

We have been looking into other options, like using hearbeat and
direct all DHCP requests to a "service IP" instead of the actual IPs
of the DHCP servers.

If anyone has any better ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.

> When I restarted the servers,
> the both went into a "not responding (recovering)" for all the
> networks
> that I have defined in my configuration file.  I thought that it would
> just take a few minutes for the recovery process but I waited over an
> hour and it was still not offering any leases.
>
> I had to delete the failover configuration and start up one of the two
> servers to get the people to work.

Eric J. Kenny
Network Analyst
Marist College