GUI for ISC?

Dawn Keenan dkeenan at mailservices.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jan 15 14:29:10 UTC 2008

Reid Vail wrote:
> Just wondering...do most ISC users do their DHCP administration right at
> the .conf file or is there a GUI that's used?  I have GDHCPD loaded but
> it seems to give access to only to basic functions.  Also I tried to
> compile and run KCMDHCPD but don't think it's working.

We use the Maintain project (http://maintainproject.osuosl.org/) from
OSU to do our IP address management, including DNS and DHCP. It handles
dynamic and static assignments, DHCP workgroups, and settings for
individual hosts. I wound up writing custom scripts a few years ago when
we migrated from homegrown manual-entry DNS and DHCP management, but it
was well worth the time and trouble to move from a system that required
pretty close to one full-time person doing hostmaster duty to a highly
distributed environment where over 100 admins get good turnaround time
on DHCP and DNS updates which they can do themselves without having to
know details about syntax and options.

--
Dawn Keenan
Network Services, IST, University of Waterloo