not reponding (resolving conflicts) for a looong time

Nick Urbanik nick.urbanik at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jan 15 04:27:24 UTC 2008

Dear Folks,

We have a failover pair serving a large number of customers.

* We have just upgraded the RAM on the secondary.
* I put the primary into partner-down state.
* I started the secondary after the RAM was installed.
* I saw both moved to the conflict resolution state, and neither were
   handing out leases; both said "not reponding (resolving conflicts)"
   to each request in the log files.

This continued for 22 minutes, causing an outage.

1. Is there a way to "hurry up" the transition from potential-conflict
    to normal?

2. Is there a way to sort this out without an outage?

3. Is it possible to transfer the dhcpd.leases file from one machine
    to its partner (say using netcat) and be able to have the machines
    move to the normal state after bringing up the partner with the
    copied lease file?  Would the lease file need editing?
Nick Urbanik http://nicku.org 808-71011 nick.urbanik at optusnet.com.au
GPG: 7FFA CDC7 5A77 0558 DC7A 790A 16DF EC5B BB9D 2C24  ID: BB9D2C24