IP allocation time

John Hascall john at iastate.edu
Mon Jan 14 11:52:09 UTC 2008

> I have configured DHCP 3.0.6 on NetBsd. Can anyone tell how much it
> should take to assign an IP address to the client.

I'm not exactly clear what you are asking, but,
assuming the dhcp server is also ISC's and that
you have not turned off "ping-check", it should
take just over 1 second (as the server will ping
the address it wishes to assign and then wait
1 second to see that there is no reply).

If you are having difficulty, the first two places
to look are the logfiles on the client and server,
and then at the network traffic which something
like tcpdump etc.

John