What causes "balancing pool" messages ?

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Thu Jan 10 20:12:24 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 11:54:29AM -0800, David W. Hankins wrote:
> > I have 2897 pool that get balanced every time I reload the dhcp server
> > and every hour.

Although honestly if you have that many pools, it would actually work
out better if all the pools rebalance events were done individually
and scheduled separately with some random dispersion.  3,000 pools to
check is a significant amount of time to spend churning CPU and not
answering queries.

The troubles with that in the 3.1.x and 4.0.x sources is that our
event (timed) scheduler does not cope well with large numbers of
pending events, and the failover protocol message POOLREQ (which is
used by one peer to politely ask the remote peer to cough up some
leases) doesn't have a means to identify which pool they want to
make a request for...you have to search them all.  So it makes for
some challenges in keeping shared code.

Some day.  Maybe they could even be balanced by different processors
in that ethereal future everyone keeps talking about.

--
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Why settle for the lesser evil?	 https://secure.isc.org/store/t-shirt/