DHCPD / Updating A Client's Hostname

Jeremy Moles jeremy at emperorlinux.com
Tue Feb 26 23:09:44 UTC 2008

I've been trying for some hours now to configure a server running DHCPD
v3.0.6-Fedora (from Fedora 8) to do whatever I can gather from the
manpages/internet is necessary to have the server give the client it's
new hostname. I've tried everything I can think of and have, as a last
resort, decided to post this question on the mailing list. :)

Basically, what I'm doing is setting up a small network where every
machine will boot with the hostname "localhost" and should, upon running
dhclient, change it's hostname to something like: dhcp101, dhcp99,
dhcp4, etc. However, this simply isn't work at all, and I believe I have
tracked the issue down to the variable:

	$new_host_name

...not being set when dhclient-script is invoked (I do an: echo "$(env)"
to a temp file and see every DHCP new_* variable except this one).

My dhcpd.conf is as follows:

allow booting;
allow client-updates;
ddns-update-style interim;
ddns-domainname "example.net";
ddns-rev-domainname "in-addr.arpa.";
ddns-updates on;
default-lease-time 86400;
max-lease-time 604800;

subnet 172.16.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
        option broadcast-address 172.16.1.255;
        option domain-name "example.net";
        option routers 172.16.1.1;
        range dynamic-bootp 172.16.1.2 172.16.1.254;
        next-server 172.16.1.1;
        filename "/pxelinux.0";
}

>From what I can gather, this should be sufficient, but clearly I'm
missing something vital. Can anyone shed any light as to what I'm doing
wrong? Is there something I need to enabled in dhclient.conf on the
client?