Reload of dhcpd

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Fri Feb 22 12:11:19 UTC 2008

>Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 01:56:29 +0100
>From: "Tom Schmitt" <TomSchmitt at gmx.de>
>Subject: Re: Reload of dhcpd
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>
>The start-scripts of the distros usualy using the first possibility. But that
doesn't necessarily means that this is the better one.

I've always used option 1. Kill the secondary, then start it again.
Typically this is done with a stop/start script. Then kill the primary,
and start it again.

Why restart the secondary first? Well if you add new subnets and start
the primary first, when the primary tries to transfer the new subnets
to the secondary to synchronise leases, the secondary will reject the
new subnets because it doesn't have a configuration for them.

I guess technically the second method is probably better, but in
practise it doesn't seem to make much difference.

regards,
-glenn