Watching performance on a DHCP Server

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Tue Feb 12 21:14:46 UTC 2008

> > I really don't understand the numbers people are quoting here. We use
> > a Dell 1850 with one 3.2 GHz CPU, one Gig of memory and two SCSI disks
> > in battery backed hardware RAID 1. We use this to serve 100K customers
> > with 24 hour leases. No problems whatsoever, and we feel we have plenty
> > of room to grow.
>
> If a raid array is configured to signal write complete as soon as
> the data is in the array's cache that can have a tremendous performance
> advantage - at the cost of possibly losing the data should the raid
> controller catch fire or something before the data actually makes
> it to the disk.

Obviously. However, I think battery-backed RAID caches that signal
write complete as soon as the data is in the array's cache is "fair
game". I don't consider the risk of losing the *RAID controller* to
be significantly higher than losing the disks themselves (probably
quite a bit *lower* in real life since it has no moving parts).

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no