Watching performance on a DHCP Server

Barr Hibbs rbhibbs at pacbell.net
Sun Feb 10 22:35:37 UTC 2008

this experience is with a derivative of version 2 of the
server, but as the basic functionality has not changed
significantly for IPv4, it may be instructive....

at the time, our environment had about 12,000 clients split
roughly 55/45 between two servers...  each server was
connected by two links to each of approximately 120 remote
subnets, each link diversely routed to minimize disruption
due to network problems, but also delivering 2 copies of
every client message to the servers

we suffered a massive regional power failure that lasted
2-1/2 days before complete restoration...  our clients
received 7-day leases, largely grouped with their renewal
times between 8 am and 6 pm, so in a 2-1/2 day outage, we
could expect renewal requests to come from about half of our
clients, and certainly init-reboot requests to come from
all...  so, that is roughly 18,000 requests to be serviced
as power is restored....

of course, the power restoral didn't occur all at once, but
was somewhat randomly distributed over a period of roughly
32 hours

entirely by coincidence, we had instrumented the server to
capture detailed message arrival rates and response times,
expecting a normal, boring weekend...  but then the power
failed, and...  we got lots more data than we expected!

the real-time clock on our computers was capable of only 1
millisecond resolution, so I must extrapolate....  our
servers survived a nearly CONTINUOUS load of more than 1,000
requests per second for 32 hours...

of course, your mileage may vary, but by choosing an
appropriate lease lifetime, you will probably see similar or
better performance.

--Barr Hibbs

https://secure.isc.org/store/t-shirt/