Watching performance on a DHCP Server

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Feb 8 21:42:27 UTC 2008

Blake Hudson wrote:

>Seems like it would make sense that this I/O could be
>non-blocking.... e.g. leases are served out of memory and the log
>sent to disk. If the disk cannot keep up, too bad, let it queue.
>
>I would see the value of making this an option on startup, those who
>are paranoid can keep an up to date log on disk. Those who have done
>due diligence with a battery backed up RAID device and redundant
>power have the option to allow the writes to be combined, queued, or
>otherwise managed by the filesystem or block devices (which we can
>assume are configured to fsync when appropriate).

It's part of the spec - the lease data must be stored in non volatile
storage before being offered to the client.

I guess systems are a bit more reliable now than when the spec was
written, but it still makes sense. As you've found out, simply
enabling write-back in your RAID controller can take away much of the
overhead.