Watching performance on a DHCP Server

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Thu Feb 7 21:37:16 UTC 2008

> BTW, what would you say would be typical of DHCP performance for a
> machine that handles 250k IP addresses
>
> Does 130 4-way handshakes or 600 2-way handshakes per second sound right
> to you? (Based on the dhcperf tool)
>
> Larry Apolonio

Larry, I'm interested in testing the performance of a DHCP server
recently installed for an ISP (~ 25k IP addresses) to ensure that should
something occur on the network that the DHCP server will not become
overloaded with requests.

I had assumed that a DHCP server should be able to handle hundreds, if
not thousands of requests a second, given the simplicity of the
protocol. However, recent problems that others have experienced has lead
me to the conclusion that this may not necessarily be true.

I looked for the dhcperf tool that you mentioned. However, it appears
the hosting site (http://www.nominum.com/testing_tools.php) no longer
offers this program and I am unable to find a copy elsewhere. Would
anyone happen to know where I can find a copy or know of any other
similar tools that offer the functionality to 'load test' a DHCP server?
- Sourceforge listed a few promising projects, however none had any
code/files available. I wouldn't mind a little scripting if the
underlying client/server handling is already done, again I want to try
to mimic (or exaggerate) a real world situation where all network
clients have lost their leases and are requesting new ones simultaneously.

Thanks in advance,
-Blake