DHCP Server on an Wireless Bridge

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Feb 5 10:46:07 UTC 2008

Vincent Arniego wrote:

>I have implemented a network that is similar to this post
>
><http://marc.info/?l=dhcp-users&m=117197611012164&w=2>http://marc.info/?l=dhcp-users&m=117197611012164&w=2
>and this one
><http://marc.info/?l=dhcp-hackers&m=118314734327638&w=2>http://marc.info/?l=dhcp-hackers&m=118314734327638&w=2
>
>I already posted on the dhcp-hackers ML but I thought of posting here as well.
>
>And I read the replies, unfortunately it's true that it is possible.
>The MAC of the packet from the PC is changed by the MAC of bridge.
>
>I checked this by ARP on the DHCP server side and it changes.
>The CHADDR field of the dhcp packet is different from the ARP reply.

Actually, the two messages you link to are very different - I assume
you are in the same situation as the second one.

IMHO, the bridge is broken and needs fixing. A layer 2 bridge does
not alter the packets passing through it in any way<period>. You seem
to have some sort of 'bastardised' device that is neither a bridge
nor a router - and it should not be described by the vendor as being
a bridge.

Have you contacted the vendor to see if this "feature" can be turned
off and the device made into a real bridge ?