Brother printer and option "routers"

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Dec 12 14:47:49 UTC 2008

Tina Siegenthaler wrote:

>>I'm having a problem with a Brother L-5250DN network printer which
>>is not accepting ther "routers" option from my DHCP server. The
>>printer's boot method is set to "DHCP", and indeed it gets a valid
>>IP and the correct subnet mask, but it always sets the gateway to
>>0.0.0.0. Which means that no one outside of the printer's subnet
>>can print to it. All other network devices in that subnet set the
>>"routers" option correctly, just not that printer. Has anyone seen
>>anything similar? I'set the printer's IP etc. manually for now, but
>>I'd rather have it use DHCP.

>Well, in fact this is true for all our Brother printers (been having
>a look at them). All of them are on DHCP, all of them get an IP and
>the proper subnet mask (which is also provided by the DHPC server),
>but they obviously refuse to accept the router address. Any idea why?

Check the packets on the wire with a packet sniffer (eg wireshark) -
specifically you are looking for the list of options requested, and
the list of options supplied. IIRC there is a bug in one or more
recent versions where the client can ask for a list of options, and
the server sorts them (to put routers, subnet mask, etc) at the
beginning. The bug manifests itself if the client asks for options in
a particular order, and the server sends one option twice and omits
another.

--
Simon Hobson