Can ISC DHCP be configured to forward/route to another DHCP Server?

gordon.marler at barclayscapital.com gordon.marler at barclayscapital.com
Wed Dec 10 19:02:09 UTC 2008

Looking for conceptual guidance on a problem that has come up due to the
merging of two companies, each with different views on how to handle
DHCP (and DNS).

The goal is to have a newly built ISC DHCP server that gets the first
opportunity to respond to any and all DHCP queries.  We would like to
put IP Helper entries for this (and only this) DHCP server in all
routers in our infrastructure.  The DHCP will be configured to only
respond to clients that are already in DNS, and which have a known MAC
address/IP address/hostname mapping in the DHCP configuration (inserted
via OMAPI).  Seems an ideal case for "ignore unknown-clients".  This
DHCP server is solely intended to support Solaris/Linux OS installation
boots.  The configurability and availability of a usable API in ISC DHCP
is the driving factor for using it in this case.

We must, however, fall back to a pre-existing Microsoft AD/DHCP/DNS
server configuration in case the first ISC server cannot (and should
not) respond to a particular DHCP client.  This would include all
desktops and other clients that would be doing purely Dynamic DHCP/DNS
queries.

Said another way, we're really looking to configure ISC DHCP to
intercept ALL DHCP traffic, responding directly only to traffic it's
interested in (static DHCP, no DDNS), and forwarding/routing the
remaining DHCP requests to the Microsoft DHCP server.

Any guidance on how this might be approached would be appreciated.

Gordon Marler
gordon.marler at barclayscapital.com

This e-mail may contain information that is confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, do not duplicate or redistribute it by any means. Please delete it and any attachments and notify the sender that you have received it in error. Unless specifically indicated, this e-mail is not an offer to buy or sell or a solicitation to buy or sell any securities, investment products or other financial product or service, an official confirmation of any transaction, or an official statement of Barclays. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Barclays. This e-mail is subject to terms available at the following link: www.barcap.com/emaildisclaimer. By messaging with Barclays you consent to the foregoing.  Barclays Capital is the investment banking division of Barclays Bank PLC, a company registered in England (number 1026167) with its registered office at 1 Churchill Place, London, E14 5HP.  This email may relate to or be sent from other members of the Barclays Group.