DHCP, Dynamic DNS, and IPv6

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Sat Aug 30 15:19:15 UTC 2008

I wrote:

>But when people start rolling out IP6, I don't think it's reasonable
>for that to require a complete overhaul of their IP4 DHCP setup for
>DDNS to work. The very minimum I would have expected would be for
>the V4 IP4 server to be capable of handling it's TXT records in a
>manner compatible with the IP6 server without having to modify
>clients

Reading that I think I've missed a bit - as in, having an update to
the V4 server so it can do TXT records in a manner compatible with
the V6 server. That would allow the issue to be dealt with by a
server upgrade.

Is it possible for the V4 server to determine what the V6 ID would be
from the information in the request packets ?