DHCP, Dynamic DNS, and IPv6

Loren M. Lang lorenl at north-winds.org
Thu Aug 28 00:26:50 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 08:14 -0700, David W. Hankins wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 01:27:23AM -0700, Loren M. Lang wrote:
> > section, but a status of NOERROR instead of NXDOMAIN.  At that point it
> > decides that it can't update the name even though there is no A or TXT
> > records for it.
>
> RFC 4703, section 5.3.1.  In order for updates to proceed, a query
> on the name must be NXDOMAIN, to ensure that it has not yet been
> allocated.  This is not a specific query, but rather a prerequisite
> on the first update attempt.
>
> > How can I get DHCP to update the records regardless of
> > the existence of a AAAA record?
>
> Short of editing sources, I don't see a way.
>
> In theory you should be able to just insert the TXT record when you
> add the AAAA.  But now that I remember, I think our ddns removals will
> drop the TXT record if it expired the last A record.  We should
> probably be checking for both A and AAAA there.

I am considering switching/complementing IPv6 auto-configuration which
the IPv6 version of DHCP.  I assume it supports Dynamic DNS is the same
manner as with IPv4.  Will the two daemons clash when assigning names
under the same domain?

--
Loren M. Lang
lorenl at north-winds.org
http://www.north-winds.org/

Public Key: ftp://ftp.north-winds.org/pub/lorenl_pubkey.asc
Fingerprint: 10A0 7AE2 DAF5 4780 888A  3FA4 DCEE BB39 7654 DE5B