BOOTP from dynamic client and no dynamic leases

Andrew Falanga af300wsm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 14:54:15 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz at cmu.edu> wrote:
> --On Friday, August 08, 2008 12:03:48 PM -0600 Andrew Falanga
> <af300wsm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> subnet 192.168.24.0 netmask 255.255.248.0 {
>
> Does the DHCP server actually have an interface with an address on this
> subnet?  Is that the interface on which the failing requests are being
> received?
>
> The DHCP server will only assign an address which is appropriate for the
> network segment on which the client is booting.  For requests received
> directly (not via a relay agent), it determines this based on the interface
> on which the address arrived.

Making this post requires me to eat some crow but it's worth it if
someone in the future searches this message and can learn from me.
This post was the key to my solving my problem.  The one host I
decided to test this with had one very small, yet significant, typo in
the host statement.  My subnet statement is as it says above and my
server does exist on this subnet, though not with in the range of 44
addresses I have.  However, my host statement for the one and only
host I was using to test on, went something like this:

host host1 {
        option host-name "host1";
        hardware ethernet 00:30:6e:f6:45:15;
        fixed-address 192.168.33.6;
}

The subnet statement is, as above,

subnet 192.168.24.0 netmask 255.255.248.0 {
}

As anyone will recognize, this one host statement had a fixed address
outside of the subnet the server was on.  Every other fixed-address
statement within the host statements read: 192.168.27.x; except the
host I was testing with.  Anyway, the problem is solved now.

I've changed the "deny unknown-hosts;" to, "ignore unknown-hosts;" as
suggested by Glenn, and have left the server as "not authoritative,"
which is what I want since there are other DHCP servers on this LAN
that have this role, and I absolutely can't have my server stomping
them.  Thanks to everyone for the help in getting this working.

Andy