Fwd: Dynamic DNS/DHCP

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au
Sat Apr 5 11:14:26 UTC 2008

I know the man pages are good, and they will help for the fine tuning,
but if you want a run down on how it all works and a crash course how-to
run a search in google- ddns dhcpd bind. It does depend on your distro
though, so adding that to the search will help narrow it all down to
something your familiar with.

What distro are you using out of curiosity?

Also, once you have the bones of it worked out, running dhcpd -d will
allow you test to make sure everything is working as expected. The man
pages also have a logging solution for bind under ddns security. For
reference, when running dhcpd -d dhcp discover and ack messages will
come up- what you want to see is adding forward map A and reverse map
PTR messages, followed by the discover and ack. The discover and ack
messages should also show a hostname IF the client is updating (I'm not
sure about the other way around, but the adding forward and reverse maps
will show the hostname anyway).

Hope I haven't overwhelmed you, but have fun. It is a good challenge to
undertake! Any probs, post back with where you're at and you'll find
plenty of help.