migrate from 3.0 to 4.1

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Thu Apr 3 15:33:49 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 12:56:41AM +1100, Glenn Satchell wrote:
> CFLAGS='-O -DUSE_SOCKETS -D_PATH_DHCPD_CONF=\"/usr/local/etc/dhcpd.conf\"' \
>     ./configure \
>     --prefix=/usr/local \
>     --sysconfdir=/usr/local/etc \
>     --datarootdir=/usr/local \
>     --localstatedir=/var \
>     --with-srv-lease-file=/var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases

by default, 4.0 finds /usr/local/var as localstatedir, and tries to
put dhcpd.leases in /usr/local/var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases (or something
like that).  i thought this was pretty useless so i mucked with 4.1 to
make it find the old lease files (/var/lib, /var/state, /var/db, /etc
on those solarises).

now after watching someone 'make install' happily into /usr/local and
not over-writing their production dhcpd on /usr, they said "wait, will
this testing/experiment daemon use the same dhcpd.leases as my
production one?"

it seems to me like "what will make install do on 4.1" is maybe an
awfully hazy picture now, and perhaps i should rethink this idea.

but /usr/local/var is pretty silly.  no one has that.  maybe a
/usr/local/share/dhcp or something?

word of warning; someone recently pointed out to me that 'make
install' will install a default dhcpd.conf.  it does not check to
see if there is already one there!  so copy out your dhcpd.conf
if you're installing with the same paths.  we'll fix this in
4.1.0a2 and 4.0.1 maint.

i didn't know (or remember?) dhcpd.conf and dhclient.conf were
being installed; they're meant more as examples in the sources
not as default configs.  we need to run through them and clean up
some of their cruft.