[SOLVED] Re: DDNS, ISC-DHCPD, and Bind... not working because of strange error messages

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au
Tue Apr 1 00:02:32 UTC 2008

Just to finish things off:

I finally got the ddns to work, although my biggest sticking point was
with the forward mapping in dns. Something to note on this was that I'm
using linux clients; what this means then is that they send the fqdn to
the dhcp server. This aspect I haven't changed yet in the actual
configs, but during testing I used dhclient -H $hostname and it finally
worked- -F $fqdn only did the reverse mapping.

I'm not sure why, but most how-tos don't mention all the directives to
use in the dhcpd.conf. One that was missing was ddns-updates, and
do-forward-updates, without these it wouldn't work. Not sure if that is
expected... Also during testing I turned optimizations off so that
mappings were immediate.

Hope this helps someone else. Might save a few hairs and wrinkles...

Thanks for the help with this - it all started with a simple error.