Global Scope (fwd)

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Sep 13 18:55:48 UTC 2007

Keith wrote:

>|->>In each of the includes above are host declarations. Is this what dhcpd is
>|->>complaining about?
>|->>
>|->>There are more subnets there but this is just a quick snippet of what it
>|->>looks like.
>|->
>|->Yes, that's what it'll be complaining about.
>
>Ive tried to move those includes around in dhcpd.conf but when I do I get
>bad parse due to having range statements in each of the includes.
>
>DHCP is reloaded automatically when changes are done and a bunch of files,
>including the STATIC includes are updated and rewritten from info in a
>mysql database. The range statements are done to exclude certain IP's that
>have been marked in the database as static.
>
>Ive put the includes outside completely of the main {} and outside
>the shared-network statement. The only place they work is inside the
>subnet declaration for each network, because of the range statements in
>each include file. And thats where range statements go, inside the subnet
>declarations, hence the error.
>
>So regardless, will dhcpd still work as it has before? At this point I
>dont have an easy way to do statics other than the way it is done now.

Yes, it will work, and will **probably** not give you any problems !

See http://marc.info/?l=dhcp-users&m=115412954117466&w=2

In short, if you define hosts anywhere but the global scope, then
clients matching that host declaration may inherit options based on
the scope the host statement is defined in - even if the client does
get that address because it's on a different network. Thus it's
entirely possible for a client to get options that don't make sense.

If clients will only ever be found in the subnet (or shared network)
where their host declarations are declared then this won't be an
issue for you.

In the long run, I would suggest that you review your management
system and see if it can be modified to avoid this problem.