dhcpd.pid

John Wobus jw354 at cornell.edu
Fri Sep 7 13:38:55 UTC 2007

On Sep 5, 2007, at 3:18 PM, John Tabasz ((jtabasz)) wrote:

> I am using Solaris 2.8 and dhcp 3.0.2. All addresses are being assigned
> based on MAC address. There are no available lease ranges defined in
> the
> .conf file.
>
> I am getting a error message in /var/adm/messages for every lease
> request the server sees:
>
> Sep  5 11:41:05 SERVERNAME dhcpd: [ID 702911 local3.error] DHCPDISCOVER
> from 00:11:
> bb:ab:f0:00 via eri0: network TEST: no free leases
> Sep  5 11:41:06 SERVERNAME  dhcpd: [ID 702911 local3.error]
> DHCPDISCOVER
> from 00:1a:
> 6d:83:c6:40 via eri0: network TEST: no free leases
> Sep  5 11:41:06 SERVERNAME  dhcpd: [ID 702911 local3.error]
> DHCPDISCOVER
> from 00:0e:
> d7:fe:d9:00 via eri0: network TEST: no free leases
>
> Then the server host, "SERVERNAME" shuts down, reboots actually for
> some
> reason I have yet to discover.

I am not able to determine from your message exactly when / how often
the server
reboots, but I might as well report our own reboot problems.

We had a problem with Solaris 2.9 (SPARC) rebooting on our DHCP
servers.  Eventually
after the OS was patched to current levels, an analysis of the core
pointed at ipf as the culprit.
We use the ipf firewall on many other Solaris systems with absolutely
no problems.
Perhaps dhcpd exercised some obscure bug or Solaris vs ipf
incompatibility.  The
dhcpd was 3.0.4, using the "local-address" statement and compiled with
USE_SOCKETS.
Our incidents were sufficiently infrequent (months apart) that knowing
when it is fixed
would be nearly impossible, so we depend upon the hope that eventual
upgrades
to Solaris, ipf, and dhcpd will eventually eliminate the issue (but of
course dhcpd should
not be able to panic the OS.)  A possible workaround would have been to
forgo
the use of ipf on these servers.

John Wobus
Cornell University