Support for RFC 3203

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Wed Oct 31 15:53:17 UTC 2007

On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 07:24:29PM -0700, Naresh kumar Varada wrote:
> I would like to know if the DHCP Server and client has the support for
> RFC3203: DHCP reconfigure extension/DHCP FORCERENEW ?

No.

> If the support is not present, is there any plan for the support or is it
> under development.

There are no current plans for RFC3203 support, except that I have
said I would consider doing it 'on my own time' if it could be
authenticated.

> Also RFC 3203 mentions that the FORCERENEW message MUST be authenticated
> using the procdures as descibed in [DHCP-AUT: RFC 3118]. Is the support for
> authentication present in the current distributions ?

We also have no support for 3118 authentication, and no plans to
implement it, which rather darkens the prospects of any future
3203 work.

If we were to engage in development along these lines, we would first
need to develop a DHCP authentication mechanism that is scalably
deployable; in my opinion (and others I have heard), 3118 as it stands
is not scalable.  To work, it requires you first omit the fundamental
purpose of DHCP and configure all your clients by hand.

> Is RFC 3118 the latest
> RFC for providing authentication support ?

As far as I know, yes.

--
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Why settle for the lesser evil?	 https://secure.isc.org/store/t-shirt/