No client hardware address?

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Mon Oct 29 15:47:12 UTC 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 01:47:54PM +0100, Shane Kerr wrote:
> Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> >    So, can anyone think of why the machine would quit sending it's
> > hardware address?  A reboot will fix the problem ... every time.  Only
> > to re-appear again when the lease expires hours later...
>
> This is actually kind of weird. Clients send DHCPINFORM when they have an IP
> address configured elsewhere (like a static address, or something else). So the
> client should be sending DHCPREQUEST, not DHCPINFORM.
>
> Looks like a bug in the client.

It's different software.  I bet it's something using .Net's interface
to DHCP.  We've seen this before from Flash Media Proxy Autodetection.

Sending a zero-length chaddr on a DHCPINFORM is incompliant with
RFC2131.  This doesn't seem to stop them from doing it, and doing so
appears to be interoperable with other DHCP servers.

--
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Why settle for the lesser evil?	 https://secure.isc.org/store/t-shirt/