RFC 3203 - DHCP reconfigure extension supported by ISC DHCP?

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Fri Oct 26 16:02:27 UTC 2007

On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 11:01:19AM -0400, Darren wrote:
> I am also curious about this support.   I have not seen it in the man

No support in any version of ISC DHCP, none (really) planned.

> pages... Anyone know if many clients out there support this?

Not that I know of.

We get the odd feature request for it, but when people realize how
useless it would be, interest quickly peters out.

The most salient reason I've been given for server-side reconfigure
support is to assist folks verifying cable modems against the
DOCSIS specification.  One of the tests prescribed in compliance
validation involves sending a reconfigure message...so you can
verify the client does not react to it!

For my own part, if there comes to exist a DHCPv4 client/server
authentication mechanism that is actually deployable, I'll consider
doing RECONFIGURE on both ends.  But we might throw server support
out there earlier along with 'dug' if we get time to help it mature to
a releaseable state.

--
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Why settle for the lesser evil?	 https://secure.isc.org/store/t-shirt/