dhcp through IPsec tunnel

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Oct 25 10:38:40 UTC 2007

fadey wrote:

>Is subj possible? I've setup a cisco-linux IPsec tunnel. Cisco is
>relaying dhcp traffic from cable modems and computers. On my linux
>machine I see packets comming in on dhcp port (with tcpdump). However
>they do not reach dhcpd - I do not see any DISCOVER messages in the log.
>Thanks in advance.

If one end of the tunnel is on the DHCP server then no, I don't think
it will work. When the server was originally written, certain
assumptions were made, and the result is that the server (and relay
agent) only work with certain types of interface - most notably
ethernet. Interfaces like PPP etc don't support broadcast, so are not
supported by the interface model used - even for non-local clients.

I suspect it would need a fairly major overhaul of the network code
to change that.