flood of balance messages

Darren perl-list at network1.net
Wed Oct 17 10:29:13 UTC 2007

Jerimiah Cole wrote:

> I see these every 60 seconds for every pool configured for failover.
> With 10,000 pools, it got pretty chatty so I patched the server to only
> log when there's some sort of error in the balance process.

Except that they were showing up at the rate of several hundred per
second (duplicates).  It seemed to be balancing or attempting to balance
the pools several hundred times per second.  Within a few minutes my log
file had reached 2.0gig and syslog refused to write to it any more.
During this time it was still answering requests and so on...  Would
certainly like to avoid this in the future since we don't find out about
it for hours...

> After looking at the man page, it looks like you can tweak the balance
> interval with the min-balance and max-balance options.

I have these settings each at 1800 in hopes that it would only balance
every 30 minutes.