Load times for Large Subnets

Bruce Hudson Bruce.Hudson at Dal.Ca
Wed Oct 10 17:59:03 UTC 2007

>> What do those IP hash %ages mean?
>
> That's how loaded the table is.  Just doing the math for the
> contents/size so I didn't have to do it in my head.

    It is also going to be the mean you were looking for. 410% means there
will be, on average, 4.1 entries per hash. The average length of non-empty
buckets and the number of empty buckets might be more interesting.

> At 410%, I would have expected to see a min/max of 4/5 for perfect
> distribution.  2/7 isn't so far away from that...nothing that would
> explain the ludicrous shift in performance.  The "0" in the uid/hw
> hashes is pretty telling; some buckets aren't getting any leases at
> all.

    With 20,000,000 entries (up 2 orders of magnitude by the way, not 1
as mentioned earlier) and 200,000 leases, 99% of the entries are bound
not to have any leases. "0/1" is what I would expect to see. The "101"
is surprising unless a large number of leases specify the same UID.
--
Bruce A. Hudson				| Bruce.Hudson at Dal.CA
UCIS, Networks and Systems		|