address problem with printer with version 3.0.5

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Oct 4 18:32:59 UTC 2007

Gilbert Debus wrote:

>I passed from version 2 to 3.0.5  and now the printers do not obtain
>adress. I do not make dynamic adress.
>
>in /var/logmessages one sees:
>Printer make DHCPDISCOVER
>DHCP server make DHCPOFFER with good adress
>but printer does not answer
>
>dhcpd.conf
>host imp059{
>hardware ethernet 00:01:e6:3f:9c:6d;
>fixed-address imp059.in.ac-montpellier.fr;
>allow booting;
>}

These problems can be almost impossible to diagnose - mostly because
you have zero visibility into the printer to see what it's doing.

The normal cause of a client not responding to an offer is that the
offer does not offer what the client needs in some way. The best way
to see what might be the problem would be to resurrect the old server
and get packet dumps of an exchange, then put back the new server and
repeat - compare the offer packets and see what's different.

As an example of how obscure some of these problems can be, at my
last job we had a Minolta copier which I never got to accept an
offer. To start with it never requested a subnet mask, so I hard
coded an option list to include it. In the end I just manually
configured it. Some time later (couple of years !) I came across a
tech note or something where it was revealed why it never accepted my
offers .... it would only accept an offer of a least with a lease
time in excess of two years. Yes TWO YEARS ! How crazy is that then ?