upgrading

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Thu Oct 4 13:33:20 UTC 2007

>From: "Matt Ashfield" <mda at unb.ca>
>To: <dhcp-users at isc.org>
>Subject: upgrading
>Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 15:35:17 -0300
>
>HI,
>
>We're running 3.0.1 here and feel it's time to upgrade. We have seen some
>weird no free leases errors that have caused some problems for us and are
>hoping an upgrade may help.
>
>We are running two servers in peer mode and want to upgrade both servers. I
>believe we're upgrading to 3.0.6
>
>I'm just wondering what the upgrade path should be since we are running the
>two servers in peer mode. Should we upgrade them at the same time? Can they
>run in peer mode at different code levels?

Make a copy of dhcpd.leases on each system in case you need to roll
back.

You should run the same version on both dhcp servers if you're using
failover. So shutdown both, uninstall the existing package on each,
install the new package on each, start them up one after the other.

You should see them startup and then connect. The lease files are
compatible, as the new version will read the old and make any format
changes it may need.

You can test the new version by using dhcpd -t to verify the syntax of
dhcpd.conf, and dhcpd -T to verify the lease file, but you should be
right.

regards,
-glenn