Stale lease data after ICMP ping before offer?

Jerimiah Cole jcole at tbtc.net
Tue Oct 2 16:33:49 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 02:01 +1000, Glenn Satchell wrote:
> I remember this being mentioned a while ago, so it may be worth testing
> a later version to see if it is fixed. Here it is:
>
>   http://marc.info/?l=dhcp-users&m=114417510113115&w=2
>
> hmm, inconclusive but the original message looks similar with cable
> modems doing odd things...

This is quite different.   The client is behaving normally.  In my case,
the server is pinging and finding that the address is in use and
"abandoning" the IP.  This is fine, but it seems that the server
"counts" the lease against the client's lease-limit.

> Turning ping-check off is probably the simplest way to go.

Turns out that the abandoned IPs are actually unauthorized static
clients, so ping-check saves us from an address conflict in this case.

I've removed the offending IPs from the pool to mitigate while I deal
with the misconfigured clients.

Jerimiah