PXE only Config

Daniel Wells daniel_wells at byu.edu
Fri Nov 30 15:59:40 UTC 2007

So it would seem from your response that dhcpd is not capable of performing a DHCPOFFER with only the PXE options?  There are lots of (proprietary) products out there that do this but we were hoping to use an open product to handle the PXE response.  One example is the Altiris PXE server which we have been using for years on campus (DHCP is handled by our central DHCP Server and Altiris handles the PXE options).  The PXE client sends out its Discover which is routed to both the DHCP server and the Altiris server.  They both respond with their respective option and the PXE boot happens beautifully.  Of course their PXE server is built specifically for use with their management and imaging tools.

We really want to have a separate (from DHCP) Campus wide PXE solution.  But if what you are saying is true, dhcpd will not help us achieve this.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks for your response.

- Daniel