Periodic assignment of unique IP address

Dan Farrell dan at spore.ath.cx
Thu Nov 29 17:43:43 UTC 2007

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:04:38 +0000
"Siraj Shaikh" <siraj.shaikh at gmail.com> wrote:

> May I just add here, we are not interested in assigning a particular
> unique IP address (at every renewal) - just whatever is available from
> the pool (which we will set accordingly ofcourse).

Perhaps changing the MAC address on the 'sensor' would be the best way
to be recognized as a different client.

Any intruder worth his weight in bits is going to be able to see
through your IP ruse anyway, if you don't change the MAC address.

> Sorry, my orignal question was I think ambigious. What I meant was the
> range of lease time, that is to say, if I assign a range of 5 minutes
> to 3 days, I would like the server to assign a lease for anytime
> between 5 mins and 3 days - and let it choose it randomly.

Better to handle this on the client I think.  You can send a signal to
your dhcp client to renew the lease after sleeping a random time.

Both of these problems are probably best solved on the client, and not
with the dhcp server.  I'm no expert, but that's how I would do it.