Periodic assignment of unique IP address

Siraj Shaikh siraj.shaikh at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 15:02:46 UTC 2007

I have a few queries regarding the DHCP configuration

1) I am trying to set up my network, where on the same network segment
I have two different sets of clients that are assigned IP addresses at
different intervals. That is to say, the lease assigned to one set of
clients is different to the lease assigned to the other set of
clients. As far as I understand, I can do this by using DHCP user
class mechanisms, whereby I deal with different sets of clients as
part of different classes (and then each class is assigned a different
lease time). Is that right?

2) Following up from the above, is there any way of assigning a random
lease to a particular user class? Random in the sense that I would
like to pass a range (upper and lower limits) of lease, and then let
the DHCP Server assign a number in between randomly?

3) My main question: how do I configure a DHCP client that allows it
to be assigned a unique IP address everytime it renews its lease? Is
it possible to configure the DHCP Server such that it assigns a
particular class of clients (or just particular clients; manually
assigned) a unique (different to prior) IP address every time their
lease is renewed? I am interested to know the answer to both
questions, as in from the configuration of a dhcp client and a dhcp
server.

Thanks.