Failover + PXE

Sten Carlsen sten at s-carlsen.dk
Sat Nov 24 17:06:35 UTC 2007

Glenn Satchell wrote:

> The dhcp servers communicate with each other and so keep the dhcp lease
> information synchronised between the two servers.
>
> ... deleted ...
>
> Once upon a time I wrote a simple script that polled the other dhcp
> server and switched to partner down if it failed to contact it for 30
> minutes. Search the archives, I'm sure it has been posted. It uses
> OMAPI to communicate with the dhcp server.

I came to think: is there a reason that the function of this script is
not included in the servers?

I mean they communicate with one another at regular intervals, they have
to for the servers to be up to date.

If the other server will not answer to the protocol but can be seen with
ping or similar, we could go to partner down state immediately and even
send a mail to the administrator?

If all contact breaks between the two servers, you can not know if this
is a minor network problem or a complete break down of the other server.

Since this is not implemented yet AFAIK, is there something wrong with
this thinking?

--
Best regards

Sten Carlsen