ICMP echo request.

kenneth.reeves at verizon.com kenneth.reeves at verizon.com
Fri Nov 16 20:35:48 UTC 2007

Under what circumstances does the server ping an address to before
assigning it to a client?  If I read the book correctly, it will always
ping the client.  At first I thought it only pinged the address if there
was an expired lease. Then I thought, that it may want to check to see
if somebody accidently statically assigned  an address in the pool to
their client, not knowing it was in the pool.  In such situations, it is
good to ping no matter what the circumstances to determine if the
address is in use.  Also, does it act differently, with regard to a
ping, for a renew vs. a request?  I checked the archives as well, but
didn't see anything there.   I am using DHCP Server V3.0.1rc9.  It works
great BTW.  If someone could direct me to an article or achieve, that
would be great.

Thanks,

Ken Reeves