DHCP client takes too much time to get IP address

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Fri Nov 16 09:28:12 UTC 2007

On 16 Nov 2007, at 07:57, Alessandro FAGLIA wrote:

> OK, I made a shared-network declaration that embraces all
> statements related to subnets, pools and groups.
> I also fixed pools ok known and unknown clients like this:
>
> pool {
>  range 192.168.1.170 192.168.1.179;
>  allow unknown clients;
> }
>
> pool {
>  range 192.168.1.180 192.168.1.199;
>  deny unknown clients;
> }

	In my experience, specifying 'deny' for some pool(s) and 'allow' for
other(s)
	has led to problems.  I suggest you choose to use either only
'allow' or else
	only 'deny', thus:

		pool {
		  deny known clients;
		}

		pool {
		  deny unknown clients;
		}

> In this way I hope clients with unknown MAC address will fall in
> the first pool.
> The second pool declaration is (a kind of) reminder that clients
> for which I have the MAC address will have a host statement below.
> If I understood correctly, I could avoid to declare this pool.

	You can avoid it, _if_ you wish to configure a distinct fixed address
	for each 'known' client.