Using custom vendor extensions with the ISC v3 DHCP client

Seri Al-Najjar salnajjar at leiner.com
Mon Nov 12 18:40:53 UTC 2007

All, I've tried reading through the man pages and through the mailing list
archives, but I'm unable to find any information for my situation as it all
seems to be aimed at people using the ISC DHCP server and not the client.

We are using the Windows DHCP server here and it's issuing custom vendor
extensions for our Wyse terminals to obtain some configuration information.

I'm currently building a small Linux system and want it to obtain similar
extensions as the Wyse terminals, the trouble is I can't work out for the
life of me how to get the ISC DHCP Client to obtain custom extensions. I've
made sure that the server is issuing the correct extensions by changing a
Wyse terminal to match the new vendor string I'm using (test-1001) and they
obtain the extensions from the DHCP server with no problems.

My dhclient.conf looks like this:

--- start dhclient.conf ---

option ftp-servers code 161 = string;

option root-path-to-ftp-files code 162 = string;

option ftp-username code 184 = string;

option ftp-password code 185 = string;

vendor-class-identifier = "test-1001";

request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,

            domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name,

            ftp-servers, root-path-to-ftp-files, ftp-username, ftp-password;

require subnet-mask, domain-name-servers, routers;

timeout 60;

retry 60;

reboot 10;

select-timout 5;

initial-interval 2;

--- end dhclient.conf ---

When I run the dhclient using the command:

dhclient -d -cf /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf

everything looks mostly good except one line that says:

option_space_encapsulate: option space agent does not exist, but is
configured.

I'm not sure if that message is related or something completely different.

Lastly, if I look at the dhclient.leases file to see what the dhclient
received, all I see is:

--- start dhclient.leases ---

lease {

  interface "eth0";

  fixed-address 10.1.4.16;

  filename "OSChooser\\i386\\startrom.com";

  medium "eth0";

  option subnet-mask 255.255.0.0;

  option dhcp-lease-time 691200;

  option routers 10.1.254.254;

  option dhcp-message-type 5;

  option dhcp-server-identifier 10.1.1.41;

  option domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1,10.1.1.41,10.1.1.42;

  option dhcp-renewal-time 345600;

  option dhcp-rebinding-time 604800;

  option domain-name "west.leinercorp.com";

  renew 2 2007/11/13 13:46:46;

  rebind 5 2007/11/16 18:43:17;

  expire 6 2007/11/17 18:43:17;

}

lease {

  interface "eth0";

  fixed-address 10.1.4.16;

  filename "OSChooser\\i386\\startrom.com";

  medium "eth0";

  option subnet-mask 255.255.0.0;

  option routers 10.1.254.254;

  option dhcp-lease-time 691200;

  option dhcp-message-type 5;

  option domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1,10.1.1.41,10.1.1.42;

  option dhcp-server-identifier 10.1.1.41;

  option dhcp-renewal-time 345600;

  option dhcp-rebinding-time 604800;

  option domain-name "west.leinercorp.com";

  renew 4 2007/11/15 20:29:10;

  rebind 1 2007/11/19 11:33:48;

  expire 2 2007/11/20 11:33:48;

}

--- end dhclient.leases ---

Any information, suggestions or advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Seri